Friday, March 13, 2009

Jade Leaves Teahouse

I have just found my new favorite restaurant. The Jade Leaves Teahouse on Guadalupe is warm and cozy with delicious food. We started by ordering tea. I picked the house chai and my Mom went with ginger. The chai was a wonderfully spicy blend of black leaves, ginger, cardamon, cinnamon, milk and sugar. If you've ever had yogi tea at Yoga Yoga it's very similar. The ginger tea took a bit longer coming out as it is prepared fresh by the chef. It was as you imagine, hot water with fresh ginger steeped in. It was light and spicy.
Next we had hot & sour soup and dumplings. Their hot & sour is a bit different from the usual. It had a delicate and fresh flavor. In fact those adjectives describe everything there. They really do walk the walk. The produce is fresh and organic as are the meats (local too!) The dumplings were not heavy at all. They were packed with finely chopped veggies and accompanied by a black vinegar sauce.
For our entrees we ordered pad thai and lettuce wraps. The pad thai was unlike any I've ever had. It was so different because it was full of vegetables: bell pepper, asparagus, carrot and purple onions. Again the flavors were subtle and spicy.
At the back of the cafe sits a tiny gallery/gift shop. The walls of the gallery are lined with antique cabinets which are full of stones, jewelry, taoist items, tea pots and other things. One of the waitresses followed us in to find a box. The key she pulled out to open the cabinet she needed was the strangest key I've ever seen. It looked more like an old metal whistle. I wanted to take it home with me.
I am so happy to have found healthy, vegetarian asian food in such a great environment. And now I have the perfect place to celebrate my 30th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation Laurel! I'm always searching for good Thai food.

    ReplyDelete