Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Week 1 Results

It took me two weeks but I finally made it through my first meal plan. Not everything was a success, but it all was healthy and got eaten.
The favorite dish was definitely the fritatta. In fact I'll be making another with some of the spinach I got today. It was incredibly easy and much healthier than a traditional quiche. The only thing I'll change this time other than the vegetables is that I'll add some fresh herbs, probably a bit of rosemary.
The least successful dish was the peanut sauce. It was pretty terrible actually. I even added honey and twice as much peanut butter, but I couldn't get the flavor right. I'm not sure what it was missing, but I'll figure it out. I love a good challenge.
Last night I made the quinoa stew. I found it hearty and filling. Quinoa is a complete protein and an excellent source of iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and B vitamins. Quinoa is classified as a grain, but is actually a member of the spinach family. It has been a staple of the diets of the Incas and other Andean peoples for over 5,000 years. I find that amazing. It's like eating history.
If you've made any of the dishes please let me know what you thought.

1 comment:

  1. i use quinoa instead of bulger to make tabouli out of chopped tomatoes, scallions, cucumbers, and red onions, sometime bell peppers and lots of fresh parsley and mint. and i usually add feta to the mix for salt. i season with lemon juice, sumac, pepper, sometimes red pepper flakes, and garlic. it's my favorite summer meal. but i could eat it anytime...

    ReplyDelete