Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Great Grandmother's Throw in Anything Banana Muffins

I recently tasted my Aunt's version of my Great Grandmother Jesse's banana muffins. It was a revolution. Never had I tasted such a delicate, moist and flavorful muffin. (I'm not exaggerating.) I promptly got the recipe and the next day made my own version. I substituted for the sugar and switched out flours. I also changed up the extra fruit and added nuts. They lost sweetness and a bit of moistness, but still are wonderful. Here's my new and healthier version:

GG Jesse's Banana Muffins

4 TBSP soft butter or Earth Balance
2 c flour (I used WW pastry)
1/2 c jaggery (can use sugar or try other sweeteners)
2 mashed ripe bananas
1 egg
6 TBSP buttermilk (what's the vegan replacement?)
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c oats
1/2 peach
1/4 c blueberries
1/4 c slivered almonds, toasted

- Using an old wooden spoon (makes it taste better) mash up the butter and sugar.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the egg and vanilla.
- Alternate between adding the flour, mixing lightly and the buttermilk until incorporated (should do in three turns)
- Fold in the oats, fruit and nuts.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups
- Bake at 350 for 12 or so minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment