Monday, January 26, 2009

Sense Memory Lane

I went back to Eastside Cafe last week for the first time in many years. I worked there in the little gift shop, Pitchforks and Tablespoons, for 2 1/2 years when I was quite younger. I enjoyed working there, but some gossip I've heard since made me stay away from the place. I finally trekked over to see if it is as good as my memory.
I got out of the car and the first thing I noticed was the smell. It smelled exactly the same, triggering a cache of memories and feelings. It was incredibly strange, like walking into my past (yes I know that's cliched, but it was true).
The food is as good as my memory. I even tried something I hadn't tasted before, the pesto ravioli. I had always avoided it because that much pesto is too much for me, but this pesto was varied and nutty. Along with it I had one of my favorite side dishes: squash with soy ginger glaze. It did not disappoint. And for dessert we had a decent buttermilk pie. I know they are somewhat famous for this pie, but honestly it did not compare to my own or my mother's I should say, a recipe I have co-opted as mine. The filling was tasty, but the crust was raw in the middle. I am not a fan of raw pie crust, salty and floury without any flaky.
Despite dessert being less than great I am happy to have re-discovered this classic Austin gem. And I will definitely return to eat there while sitting uncomfortably in my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment